2009年11月8日日曜日

It was Friday evening and I was wasting last working hours searching for a path to fisherman hut my friend rented for us for entire weekend. My only dream was to see how big glowing clock on the wall will show me magic 18:00 number. Then I will drive home where beer and few old 2D movies downloaded from pirate networks are waiting for me. 17:54 so far. Now I believe quantum physics who say that the water will never boil while you are watching on it.
Path was found and printed out together with addresses of few promising pubs around chosen solely by their names. Just in case...
Oh, finally it happened! I turned my PC off, stamped my time card and left the building.

My perfect Friday evening was interrupted at the very beginning by the door bell. There were two young guys behind the door, about 25, both wearing pale blue polo shirts with Google logo on them.
“Good evening, sir”, – said one of them smiling, – “My name is Andrew, this is Rick, we are from Google.”
“This is quite obvious,” – I replied, – “What do you need?”
“We are here to prevent the crime you are about to commit,” – said Andrew. “According to our analysts, you are about to use some copyrighted content in illegal way.”
“Are you spying on me? You bastards are stealing my private data!” – I was mad and confused.
“No, sir. You private information is safe, we care about it. You know, our department is creating statistic model on each and every Google user. We are using search history, public documents and other freely available data to build behavior models of our users. We combine it with other data like weather, average annual income, new products on the market and after that we can predict things are about to happen. Before we used it only for better advertising, but now we have more ambitious plans.”
“Like what?”
“Like to build new society without crime! We are going to prevent any act of crime our model shows us before it happened. Just like modern medicine prevents pandemics with vaccination.”
“We call it prophylaxis, you know,” - added Rick.
“Prophy... what? Excuse me, gentlemen, but I can't help you. I close the door now, bye,” – I almost shut the door, but the guy to the right from me – Rick – started to read names of movies I wanted to watch tonight from his hand-held device. I was probably shocked and could master my feelings well, and it gave them additional points.
“See, sir, this is true!” – Andrew said. “And not only that! We know your plans for tomorrow, for the next week, next months, next year!”
“OK, mister, speak it out!” – I was almost shouting.
“You are going to Pine Rocks where your friend rented nice fisherman hut, but you prefer to drink around instead. Am I right?”
“Absolutely not! I was going, but now I changed my mind. Same for tonight – I'm not going to do anything, I'm going to bed, your model is wrong!”
“Excuse me, sir, but our model shows us your character clearly and I would say you will rather do it to spite us than change you mind.”
Oh, my!... This is true, I would do that, that is so much in my character.
“Well, what do you want from me? Remember, I will deny everything in the court!”
“We want you to confess and let us in, pay us some fine and tell us details which will help us to improve you model and some behavior algorithms,” – Andrew replied calmly.
“Or else?”
“Or else we will come back with police and the order from court and you will have much more complications.”
“It sounds like you are blackmailing me.”
“Oh, no, not at all! We respect the law and user agreements, it is you who are doing wrong things here.”
“So you guys think you have cornered me?”
“Yes, sir.”
“It is good that you admit it,” – I replied stepping back to the hallway.
They thought I let them in, so they crossed the doorstep with self-confident smiles on their faces. I let them come closer, then pulled my shock gun out of my pocket and discharged it to their chests. And then I dialed house guard and reported about two unauthorized intruders.

Police took me to the police-office where I told them everything without testifying against myself of course. Police officers knew about Google initiative, but the old one, one of those who came to my apartment to pick me up, tapped my shoulder and said “Good job, fella” Saturday noon when I was leaving the office.
“They say they respect the law,” – he said also? “Bullshit!”
And he was right – nobody can be punished for a crime he or she has not committed. And by the way, their model was wrong – I didn't watch any movies that night and this noon I'm staying at a bus stop right next to the police office, far away from Pine Rocks.

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿